Popular Posts

Followers

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Mittens in Georgia?

Today I added a few handy links to sites I enjoy visiting which I thought visitors to my blog might appreciate. The bonus was that I found a great new pattern for mittens that conveniently turn into fingerless mitts with the flick of your fingers. They're designed by Megan and the pattern along with photos is at: http://www.magknits.com/

Megan has also started a Mitten-Knit-Along and I emailed her requesting to join. I'm looking forward to knitting my first pair of Megan's fingerless mitts tonight. Meanwhile, here's my own version of fingerless mitts (without the flap to turn them into regular mittens)pattern. Sorry, I mailed my first pair off to my daughter Sarah and I can't seem to find the second pair I recently knit. As soon as I come across them, I'll post a photo.
******************************

Fingerless Mittens

Materials: Size 5 double pointed needles
Worsted weight wool or yarn or
Light weight worsted to fit smaller hands (women's & teens' sizes)

One pair takes about 150 yards

Gauge: 5-6 sts per inch over stockinette stitch

Legend: k knit
p purl
kf&B knit into the front of the stitch without removing it from the left needle; then knit into the back of the same stitch. Move two new stitches to right-hand
needle
CO cast on

Note: Throughout working this pattern, you should re-arrange the stitches so the last stitch on each needle is a Purl stitch. This will allow you to tighten up on the first stitches of the next needle and will prevent unsightly gaps or ladders.

Pattern:
CO 44 st
Work K2, P2 rib for 20 rows.

Continue in plain stockinette (knit every row) for 16 rows or desired length to beginning of thumb gusset.

Thumb Gusset: Place markers to indicate where to P1; Continue to 'P1' twice on Rows 2 & 3 (not indicated in instructions below)

Row 1: P1, kf&b, k1, kf&b, p1, k to end
Row 2: K
Row 3: K

Repeat rows 1-3 four times until thumb gore has 13 stitches. (13 rows completed)

Rows 14 and 15: Knit all stitches around

Thumb Opening:
Row 1: K1, CO 13 thumb gore stitches, k to end of round
Row 2: K1, CO 4 sts tightly (to eliminate hole) and k to end of round
Row 3: K across all stitches

Work K2, P2 ribbing for 10 rounds. Bind off all stitches and weave in tails.

**************************
Seeing as I live closer to the southern end of Georgia (actually, about 1 1/2 hours NW of Savannah), you might assume we haven't got a need for warm mittens here. Not so. Although I've got my windows open on this February day, we did have a few chilly days recently that required me to turn on the heat.
Since I moved here on June 6th, 2002, I've noticed that our winters are not only milder than frigid New England where I'm from, but the winter weather also only lasts about 5 weeks. It hasn't snowed in Portal since I've moved here but it did snow in Savannah once in 2002 when I taught school there which was a rare occasion and an exciting event for my students.
I miss seeing the first snowfalls up North and wishing for white Thanksgivings and Christmases. I also remember how excruciating it was to have to shovel steps, walkways and driveways and how disgustingly dirty the snow quickly turned not long after it fell.
Just another reason to be grateful that I'm where I am at the moment...

No comments: